[tz] Theory - proposal to delete the reference to population

OvV_HN ovv at hetnet.nl
Mon May 21 14:59:50 UTC 2012

[tz] Theory - proposal to delete the reference to population
Tobias Conradi tobias.conradi at gmail.com
Fri May 18 18:20:39 UTC 2012

http://home.tiscali.nl/~t876506/Multizones.html says
"As soon as the territorial waters of a nation is reached, the clock
is set to the local time of that (part of the) nation."

Reply:

Probably interesting to know:
- What you referred to is my page (not interesting, but preliminary to the
next).
- The chapter about international waters is the result of a discussion on
the TZ list a couple of years ago.
So, that information is in fact peer reviewed.
- The discussion was based on the renowned Bowditch publication The American
Practical Navigator.

In the chapter mentioned above a table and an algorithm can be found, that
can be used to find a kinda logical time for an uninhabited zone.

In my opinion: if an authority of an uninhabited island has defined a local
time, the TZ database should have a zone designation, whether the island is
uninhabited or not. The central place cannot be the largest inhabited place,
but could be the geographic center of the island or a landmark of some kind
(mountain top, abandoned station, etc.).
The mere existence of an ISO code, a FIPS code, internet TLD, whatever,
should be of no concern to TZ.

Oscar van Vlijmen