[tz] Idaho tz correction

Alan Mintz Alan_Mintz+TZ_IANA at Earthlink.net
Mon May 21 22:04:37 UTC 2012

I see someone tried to address this last month but it kind of fell flat.
The solution seems clear to me, as described here:

>In ftp://ftp.iana.org/tz/data/northamerica v8.54 dated 2009-05-17 (the
>current version), it says"
>
># US Pacific time, represented by Los Angeles
>#
># California, northern Idaho (Benewah, Bonner, Boundary, Clearwater,
># Idaho, Kootenai, Latah, Lewis, Nez Perce, and Shoshone counties,
># and the northern three-quarters of Idaho county),
># most of Nevada, most of Oregon, and Washington
>
>The first instance of Idaho in the county list (between Clearwater and
>Kootenai) should be removed since the list ends with "and the northern
>three-quarters of Idaho county". That is, only the northern 3/4 of the
>county, not the whole county, is included (assuming that is true).

The dividing line is actually the Salmon River, so I would change the
paragraph to:

# US Pacific time, represented by Los Angeles
#
# California, northern Idaho (Benewah, Bonner, Boundary, Clearwater,
# Kootenai, Latah, Lewis, Nez Perce, and Shoshone counties,
# and the part of Idaho county lying north of the Salmon River),
# most of Nevada, most of Oregon, and Washington

If we wanted to give the same detail treatment to NV and OR:

# US Pacific time, represented by Los Angeles
#
# - California
# - Washington
# - Northern Idaho (Benewah, Bonner, Boundary, Clearwater,
# Kootenai, Latah, Lewis, Nez Perce, and Shoshone counties,
# and the part of Idaho county lying north of the Salmon River)
# - Oregon (except for the northern 3/4 of Malheur County)
# - Nevada (except for West Wendover)

I attempted to send this to the contact address at the top of the table
(tz at elsie.nci.nih.gov), which was delayed 3 days and then bounced*.
Shouldn't the tables be corrected to show the contact info for this list?

*Actually, it seems that elsie.nci.nih.gov doesn't have an MX record (any
more), so mailers attempt to connect to elsie directly to send mail, but it
isn't listening (or won't connect).

--
Alan Mintz <Alan_Mintz+TZ_IANA at Earthlink.net>