[tz] Idaho tz correction

Ian Abbott abbotti at mev.co.uk
Tue May 22 11:12:18 UTC 2012

On 2012-05-21 23:04, Alan Mintz wrote:
> I see someone tried to address this last month but it kind of fell flat.
> The solution seems clear to me, as described here:
>

>> In ftp://ftp.iana.org/tz/data/northamerica v8.54 dated 2009-05-17 (the
>> current version), it says"
>>
>> # US Pacific time, represented by Los Angeles
>> #
>> # California, northern Idaho (Benewah, Bonner, Boundary, Clearwater,
>> # Idaho, Kootenai, Latah, Lewis, Nez Perce, and Shoshone counties,
>> # and the northern three-quarters of Idaho county),
>> # most of Nevada, most of Oregon, and Washington
>>
>> The first instance of Idaho in the county list (between Clearwater and
>> Kootenai) should be removed since the list ends with "and the northern
>> three-quarters of Idaho county". That is, only the northern 3/4 of the
>> county, not the whole county, is included (assuming that is true).
>

> The dividing line is actually the Salmon River, so I would change the
> paragraph to:
>
> # US Pacific time, represented by Los Angeles
> #
> # California, northern Idaho (Benewah, Bonner, Boundary, Clearwater,
> # Kootenai, Latah, Lewis, Nez Perce, and Shoshone counties,
> # and the part of Idaho county lying north of the Salmon River),
> # most of Nevada, most of Oregon, and Washington
>
> If we wanted to give the same detail treatment to NV and OR:
>
> # US Pacific time, represented by Los Angeles
> #
> # - California
> # - Washington
> # - Northern Idaho (Benewah, Bonner, Boundary, Clearwater,
> # Kootenai, Latah, Lewis, Nez Perce, and Shoshone counties,
> # and the part of Idaho county lying north of the Salmon River)
> # - Oregon (except for the northern 3/4 of Malheur County)
> # - Nevada (except for West Wendover)

I guess we'd want to change the comment for Southern Idaho
(America/Boise) as well, replacing "the southern quarter of Idaho
county" with "the part of Idaho county lying south of the Salmon River".)

Though looking at the map, the river meanders a bit so that some of the
portion described above as lying south of the Salmon River is actually
north of part of the river and south of another part of the same river!

--
-=( Ian Abbott @ MEV Ltd.    E-mail: <abbotti at mev.co.uk>        )=-
-=( Tel: +44 (0)161 477 1898   FAX: +44 (0)161 718 3587         )=-