[tz] Proposal to deprecate "." and "-" in zone names

Zefram zefram at fysh.org
Thu May 24 12:33:24 UTC 2012

Tobias Conradi wrote:
>"." is not used, document current usage. Reduce number of possible variations.

Maybe.  I'm neutral on this.

>@"-"
>Reduce number of possible variations. Avoid discussions about names as

Seems better not to change the existing ones, and it's rare that we'd
be unclear on whether dash or space is the correct spelling.  So opposed
to this.

>Some environments don't allow "/". Since "/" is part of the zone name,
>a replacement may be needed.

"/" is part of the zone name regardless of platform.  When mapping a zone
name to a pathname, "/" translates to the directory separator, whatever
that is on each platform.  If you really want to use a complete zone name
as a single filename (i.e., a name that can appear in a single-level
directory), then you need to do some mapping, but it's not our job to
cater to that usage.

-zefram