[tz] Maritime time zones

Tim Thornton tt at smartcomsoftware.com
Thu May 24 15:47:05 UTC 2012

Hi Zefram,
Thanks for that useful information.

Actually marine time zones DO use UT1, because of the link between time and
astro (or celestial) navigation.

The sign difference is because the conference that set up the nautical time
zones intentionally adopted this sign convention, which is unfortunately the
opposite of that used for terrestrial time zones - look up in any nautical
publication that has time zones, e.g. Admiralty Tide Tables or Admiralty
List of Radio Signals, and you will see this specifically maritime sign
convention used. I don't know which came first, the maritime or the time
zone sign convention, but it is confusing.

Tim

Smartcom Software Ltd
Portsmouth Technopole
Kingston Crescent
Portsmouth PO2 8FA
United Kingdom

www.smartcomsoftware.com

Smartcom Software is a limited company registered in England and Wales,
registered number 05641521.