[tz] Proposal to deprecate "." and "-" in zone names

Steven R. Loomis srl at icu-project.org
Fri May 25 15:10:20 UTC 2012

On 05/24/2012 04:27 PM, Tobias Conradi wrote:
> It doesn't matter whether it is anyone's job.
>
> I am here to improve usability of the IANA time zone database.
>
> Other people already invent new names because in their systems the
> IANA time zone names are not sufficient.
>
> E.g. CLDR has created UN/LOCODE based codes:
> http://cldr.unicode.org/development/development-process/design-proposals/bcp47-mapping

This a draft design document proposing what is now the 'tz' field of
IETF BCP 47 Extension U < https://tools.ietf.org/html/rfc6067>
referencing UTS35 and data <
http://unicode.org/reports/tr35/#Unicode_Language_and_Locale_Identifiers>.
However, it is not relevant to simply the discussion of "." and "-",
instead, the UN/LOCODE based codes (with some additions) were needed due
to length restrictions.

The characters used are well-specified, I don't see any benefits to
deprecating "." and "-".

Steven

ICU / CLDR Project