[tz] Proposal to deprecate "." and "-" in zone names

Tobias Conradi tobias.conradi at gmail.com
Sat May 26 13:21:57 UTC 2012

On Sat, May 26, 2012 at 1:26 PM, Clive D.W. Feather <clive at davros.org> wrote:
> Tobias Conradi said:
>>> And I am English and only speak English ...
>> I don't speak only English, but I speak almost no Indonesian or
>> Afrikaans, still I can type it easily, since both only use the ISO
>> basic Latin alphabet AFAIK.
>
> Wrong. English certainly doesn't use only the basic Latin alphabet,
If so, then Clive D.W. Feather Thu May 24, 2012
http://mm.icann.org/pipermail/tz/2012-May/017938.html
"What about places that have a dot in their official name?"
"What about places that have a hyphen in their official name?"

didn't point to the fact that deprecating dot and hyphen would change
the system from being able to represent all characters potentially
needed for displaying official names to a system that cannot.

> though
> American might. I believe neither Indonesian nor Afrikaans are so limited
> either.
AFAICS the words in http://kompas.com/ (Indonesian newspaper) only use [A-Za-z].

http://www.beeld.com/ (Afrikaans website) mostly use [A-Za-z], but not
exclusively.

Thanks for questioning my statement and letting me check. Also
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ISO_basic_Latin_alphabet says "Afrikaans
alphabet: uses diacritics." - So completely my error.

For http://www.bangkok.itgo.com/ (Thai website) as of 2012-05-26 I see
80% of the characters as question marks in my Chrome browser.

I change
>> I don't speak only English, but I speak almost no Indonesian or
>> Afrikaans, still I can type it easily, since both only use the ISO
>> basic Latin alphabet AFAIK.
I don't speak only English, but I speak almost no Indonesian,
still I can type it easily, since it only uses the
ISO basic Latin alphabet AFAIK.

So I would uphold the claim, that one can type text in a language
without speaking it and I think using full Unicode set for time zone
names would prevent lot of people from easily reproducing them.

--
Tobias Conradi
Rheinsberger Str. 18

http://tobiasconradi.com/