[tz] Fwd: [IANA #636310] how to check a time

Fri Nov 30 18:55:01 UTC 2012

All you need is an up to date Unix system, then type these two commands:

TZ="/Pacific/Auckland" date
date -u

The former will show the current date/time in Auckland, the latter will show the current date/time in UTC.  When I do that on my Linux box, I see a 13 hour offset, as expected.

Also, if you look in the tzdata files (specifically, file "australasia") you'll find the rule for Auckland, which indeed says the base offset is 12 hours but DST is now in effect.  It shows that the DST start date has changed a bit over the years, but the latest it has ever been is first sunday in November.

So if your calendar program is showing today's time as 12 hours from UTC, that would suggest it doesn't do DST at all...

paul