[tz] Australian Timezone Abreviations - Next step

Robert Elz kre at munnari.OZ.AU
Thu Oct 11 22:55:04 UTC 2012

    Date:        Thu, 11 Oct 2012 15:40:13 +1000
    From:        Shaun Bouckaert <shaun.bouckaert at gmail.com>

  | After taking some time off from this issue,

Why not just drop it - it keeps being argued, wasting everyone's
time, and nothing changes, because ...

  | I honestly believe that the only argument for the status quo on this
  | issue is that it's been this way for a long time.

No, it is the way it is because what's there is correct.

  | I've considered the next logical step to be contacting the relevant
  | government departments in charge of the timezone legislation in each state.

That's fine but please don't ask them loaded questions, no "is XXX the
correct abbreviation?" - instead ask questions with no hint of what
you think the answer should be "What is the correct name for the
timezone in Queensland?   (And its abbreviation)"   You could also ask
them for a reference to the legislation or regulation that specifies it.

  | and what is presented by the federal government on this page

What the federal government think affacts only the ACT (where they
just copy NSW all the time anyway, for obvious reasons) and perhaps NT
(could be NT, but these days they probably allow the NT legislature to
make the decision, such as it is there).

  | http://australia.gov.au/about-australia/our-country/time

That web page is (obviously) aimed at foreigners.   Australians don't
consult the web to find out what the time is ...   When talking about
things for outsiders, it is natural to call things "Australian xxx"
(whether it is beaches, schools, or timezones).  A web site aimed at
foreign tourists might very well give details about Australian beaches,
or Australian roads, or even Australian time - but inside Australia
you're very unlikely to consider that you're driving on this Australian
road to get to some Australian beach (at some Australian time).

  | Hopefully, with responses from the relevant state departments, this
  | issue can be resolved and put to bed.

The issue has been put to bed many times over the years.  It was that
way until yesterday.   There is no need (and no advantage) in dredging
it all up again.  What's there matches the relevant state legislation
(at least those easily available to be checked in the early days, if
any states are actually different, they could be fixed).

kre