[tz] Ambiguous abbreviations for Australian timezones when daylight savings is in affect

Alan Barrett apb at cequrux.com
Mon Apr 1 13:10:53 UTC 2013

On Mon, 01 Apr 2013, Tobias Conradi wrote:
>> If you want change, then it is incumbent on you to demonstrate
>> that your preferred abbreviations are either in wider use than
>> the alternatives, or have more official government backing than
>> the alternatives.
> Why?

If you don't agree that the person proposing a change should
present a good reason for the change, then we have little common
ground.

>> Selective quoting from some web sites does not constitute such
>> a demonstration.
> How would you demonstrate "official government backing" if not
> by selecting a subset of official government websites?

Certainly not by selecting only those sources that agree with you.

Perhaps by performing a survey of many web sites, whether or not
they agree with you, and tabulating the results; if you are right,
then the results will show that your side has a clear majority,
and most of the objections will go away.

--apb (Alan Barrett)