[tz] Ambiguous abbreviations for Australian timezones when daylight savings is in affect

Tobias Conradi tobias.conradi at gmail.com
Mon Apr 1 12:58:27 UTC 2013

On Mon, Apr 1, 2013 at 2:20 PM, Robert Elz <kre at munnari.oz.au> wrote:
>     Date:        Mon, 1 Apr 2013 13:07:39 +0200
>     From:        Tobias Conradi <tobias.conradi at gmail.com>

>>> I don't think that anybody wants the tz database to use different
>>> abbreviations from what is in common use in Australia.

>> Then why the IANA timezone database contains EST for Daylight saving
>> time in Eastern Australia?
>
> It is "Summer Time" (Eastern Summer Time) which is what it is called in the
> legislation.
So it is not EST in the legislation? And since when is the name from
legislation "common use in Australia"?

Mr Elz?

>  It is also (if unimaginative) a rational name, unlike
> "daylight saving" which is gibberish.
I would not call EST a name, but more an acronym and it is one used in
the IANA timezone database for Eastern non-DST time as well as DST
time and that whilst there are points in time where both Eastern DST
and Eastern non-DST coexist.

>> Again, this is not about just choosing a /new/ set, but it is about
>> one that uses one acronym for each zone during daylight saving time.
>
> Why?
Because Timothy started the thread that way. And now, if you ask why
he wants it that way - there are some reasons given in the starting
message.

>> How would you demonstrate "official government backing" if not by
>> selecting a subset of official government websites?
>
> You would (presumably) ask the appropriate govt department(s) for a
> ruling
And how can the presented in the mailing list and added to the IANA
timezone database file australasia? "I had a phone call ...."?

>(and appropriate here is nothing from the commonwealth govt,
Why?

>  and certainly not the Bureau of Met).
Why?

--