[tz] Ambiguous abbreviations for Australian timezones when daylight savings is in affect

Tobias Conradi tobias.conradi at gmail.com
Mon Apr 1 22:37:22 UTC 2013

On Mon, Apr 1, 2013 at 4:45 PM, Robert Elz <kre at munnari.oz.au> wrote:
>     Date:        Mon, 1 Apr 2013 14:58:27 +0200
>     From:        Tobias Conradi <tobias.conradi at gmail.com>

>>> It is "Summer Time" (Eastern Summer Time)
>>> which is what it is called in the
>>> legislation.

>> So it is not EST in the legislation?

> There are no abbreviations in the legislation.
Thanks for the confirmation that your answer didn't relate much to the
question why there is EST in the IANA timezone database..

> Abbreviations
> are not needed at all,
Timothy showed otherwise.

> using them is a mistake.
For sure, if the abbreviations are mistakes.

> You keep missing the point, in Aust there is no such thing as DST,
> there
> is Summer Time.   Eastern Summer Time and Central Summer Time (no Western...)

>   | >(and appropriate here is nothing from the commonwealth govt,
>   | Why?
>
> Because the commonwealth govt is not responsible for time in Aust,
Mr. Elz, the thread is not about time in Australia but about acronyms.

>   | >  and certainly not the Bureau of Met).
>   | Why?
>
> They're an agency of the commonwealth govt (see above) with responsibility
> for forecasting the weather (and related issues)
Weather forecasting has been given as a reason by Timothy to have
unambiguous acronyms.

>- if you were to pick a
> national agency that came closer to responsibility for time it would be the
> national measurement lab.
What do they have to do with time zone acronyms?

> But they're intelligent enough not to try and
> step all over state responsibilities.
It is a states responsibility to define unambiguous acronyms for the
Commonwealth?

--
Tobias Conradi
Rheinsberger Str. 18