[tz] Ambiguous abbreviations for Australian timezones when daylight savings is in affect

Mark Davis ☕ mark at macchiato.com
Tue Apr 2 10:14:12 UTC 2013

The abbreviations only really make sense is where people commonly deal with
multiple timezones, such as in broad countries like the US or AU.

> (She insisted that it was Pacific Standard Time all year round.)

Yes, a lot of misunderstandings, even in those countries.

> if an offset needs to be expressed, use +/-HHMM.

That works for single points in time. It does not, however, handle
repeating meetings. For example:

  Mondays at 8:00 PT

You can't really express this with offsets in any way that would be more
understandable than the full name. One could try:

   Mondays at 8:00 GMT-7/8.

But nobody is familiar with that: leaving people to guess that you mean -7
most of the year, but -8 from Nov to mid March.

Mark <https://plus.google.com/114199149796022210033>
*
*
*— Il meglio è l’inimico del bene —*