[tz] Ambiguous abbreviations for Australian timezones when daylight savings is in affect

Bennett Todd bet at rahul.net
Tue Apr 2 20:26:16 UTC 2013

2013-04-02T14:57 tim at timtimeonline.com:
> [...] One of the few arguments I have seen for maintaining the status quo
indefinitely is poorly-written legacy code.  If that is truly our concern
(and I hope it isn't), perhaps we should simply announce such a change well
before we actually make it.

Very well before.

I betcha there are some thermostats that might get bit, and possibly some
medical appliances too.

Or industrial control.

The applications of computers with the most horrific downside risk are,
inexplicably, not renowned for the best design expertise at controlling
against surprises.