[tz] How to compute the moment of the next DST change

Ian Abbott abbotti at mev.co.uk
Wed Apr 3 09:47:57 UTC 2013

On 2013-04-02 20:42, random832 at fastmail.us wrote:
> On Tue, Apr 2, 2013, at 15:36, Tim Parenti wrote:
>> Out of curiosity (and perhaps for the good of the order), is there
> documentation on the format of tz binary files and, if so, where can it
> be found?
>
> It's fully specified in the tzfile.5 manpage - I've also got a mostly
> independently (of tzcode's tzset) written "timezone file inspector"
> program that I've been meaning to post on the list one of these days,
> which may or may not be helpful.

The definition in the tzfile.5 manpage isn't written very formally.
It's kind of loose.  One really needs to grok the TZ C code to get the
details of the layout.

--
-=( Ian Abbott @ MEV Ltd.    E-mail: <abbotti at mev.co.uk>        )=-
-=( Tel: +44 (0)161 477 1898   FAX: +44 (0)161 718 3587         )=-