[tz] Ambiguous abbreviations for Australian timezones when daylight savings is in affect [SEC=UNCLASSIFIED]

David Patte ₯ dpatte at relativedata.com
Mon Apr 8 04:12:19 UTC 2013

I recommend we take this discussion off the tz list. This tz list is too
critical for many people to become the whiteboard of our pending proposal.

I believe Tobias is setting up an AU tz discussion group where we can
prepare the proposal-patch to bring back for review by the tz list. Once
the AU tz discussion list is set up, I would like to ask Tobias to
invite interested parties to join that list. Once we have a proposal
prepared, we will submit it back to this list. It will then be up to tz
to decide whether to implement it or not. No need for further discussion.

By doing this, we reduce the noise on the tz list itself. Even if the
patch is not accepted by the tz maintainers in the long run, they can
simply redirect any newcomers with similar issues off this list onto our
list to keep this list more focused on other issues, and we can provide
those interested with the patch we have proposed.

Tobias, if you can setup the discussion, let us know, and I will provide
a first pass at a recommended patch which I'll post on that list. I'll
await your message.