[tz] Patched file australasia - time point unique abbreviations for Australia

Tobias Conradi mail.2012 at tobiasconradi.com
Tue Apr 9 04:40:33 UTC 2013

On Tue, Apr 9, 2013 at 12:18 AM, Paul Goyette <pgoyette at juniper.net> wrote:
> Wow!
Indeed.

> Everyone argues that the current situation is untenable
No, the TZ Coordinator and some other people voted to keep the current
situation.

> (and threaten
> to trigger a fork)
Even less than those that want to change the current situation, did
/mention/ a fork..

>because the current abbreviations aren't in common
> usage.
No, the reason is because the current set of abbreviations contains
EST and CST which during DST are used to refer to two different
offsets each and are thus ambiguous.

> Yet the first proposed update tries to invent a whole new set of
> heretofore unseen abbreviations?
I don't know what you mean by "first proposed update", since the bug
is open since 2006.

The first patch that I can see did not "try to invent a whole new set
of heretofore unseen abbreviations", but did indeed introduce a subset
with possibly one (LHHT) or two (LHDT) unseen abbreviations:

LHST/LHDT/LHHT - Lord Howe

A set for which David Grosz made a change proposal and that has been
addressed in the very email you just replied to. The relevant parts
are kept below.

> Absurd!
Your comment? I think you just didn't read and write carefully.

--
Tobias Conradi
Rheinsberger Str. 18

http://tobiasconradi.com