[tz] EST/EDT vs AEST/AEDT in AQ [SEC=UNCLASSIFIED]

Tobias Conradi mail.2012 at tobiasconradi.com
Wed Apr 17 17:50:13 UTC 2013

On Fri, Apr 12, 2013 at 5:20 PM, Tim Parenti <tim at timtimeonline.com> wrote:

> On 12 April 2013 10:57, Tobias Conradi <mail.2012 at tobiasconradi.com> wrote:
>>
>> Against actual practice in the IANA time zone database, deteriorating
>> usability for those that rely use systematization.
>

> It would appear you misunderstood or misinterpreted my statements.  The ONLY
> "actual practice" which is relevant is the actual practice on the ground,
> independent of tz.
How did you came to this conclusion?

>> >  To be clear, I haven't seen any evidence either way, but I
>> > don't particularly believe any residents of Lord Howe Island would call
>> > it
>> > "Lord Howe half-daylight time", because to them, half an hour is a full
>> > transition.
>> Does that matter?
>

> As above, yes.  What the locals call it should be the ONLY practice that
> matters.
This is not current practice. All non-English abbreviations used by
locals are simply ignored, leading to WIT in the database meaning
Western Indonesia Time, whilst to locals it means Eastern Indonesia
Time.

>  While I am sympathetic to your desires for broader
> systematization, it is not the aim of this project.
%s is systematized so that "D" never means anything else than 1:00 saving time.

>> The English speaking countries largely get their way through with
>> locally used abbreviations, whilst needs and wishes of others are
>> ignored.
>
> Again, I haven't been around for long, but according to my understanding of
> this project's history, it is solely an English-language project.
At least it is since some months an IANA project. The IANA site states

http://www.iana.org/about
"The Internet Assigned Numbers Authority (IANA) is a department of ICANN"

The ICANN site
http://www.icann.org/en/about/welcome
"Welcome to ICANN’s global community supporting the vision of "one
world, one Internet." "

http://www.icann.org/en/about/governance/guidelines
"The mission of ICANN is to coordinate, at the overall level, the
global Internet's systems of unique identifiers"

> Localization issues are outside of its scope.
That's my proposal: stop localizing to English.

--
Tobias Conradi
Rheinsberger Str. 18

http://tobiasconradi.com