[tz] Proposal to change Macquarie Island to be Australian territory

Paul Eggert eggert at cs.ucla.edu
Thu Apr 18 13:52:29 UTC 2013

On 04/18/2013 01:06 AM, Tim Thornton wrote:
> This edition
> would have been published and in force now, apart from a reservation from
> Argentina.

I've read that Australia objected too.  The Australian Hydrographic Office,
for what it's worth, says that Macquarie is in the Southern Ocean.  See:

Darby A. Canberra all at sea over position of Southern Ocean.
The Age 2003-12-22.
http://www.theage.com.au/articles/2003/12/21/1071941610556.html

If I had to do it over again I might put it in the Pacific, but
given that it's in a geographically ambiguous area I'm inclined
to leave it alone.  There is an advantage to not messing with the
identifiers.