[tz] Proposal to use Asia/Tel_Aviv for Israel - Jerusalem is not internationally recognized as part of Israel

Tobias Conradi mail.2012 at tobiasconradi.com
Sat Apr 20 18:43:30 UTC 2013

On Sat, Apr 20, 2013 at 6:51 PM, SM <sm at resistor.net> wrote:
> At 06:21 20-04-2013, Tobias Conradi wrote:
>>
>> == Problem ==
>> Jerusalem is internationally not recognized as part of Israel. Using
>> Jerusalem as reference location for Israel in the IANA time zone
>> database may thus violate UN resolutions.
>

> If I recall correctly the argument was to use population size.
Of territory that is not internationally recognized as belonging to Israel?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/East_Jerusalem#Demographics
"At the end of 2008, the population of East Jerusalem was 456,300"

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Demographics_of_Jerusalem#After_Jerusalem_Law
As of May 24, 2006, Jerusalem's population was 724,000

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tel_Aviv
City	410,000
Urban	1,300,000
Metro	3,405,000