[tz] World map showing IANA zone area by colored zone labels

Tobias Conradi mail.2012 at tobiasconradi.com
Mon Apr 22 14:29:11 UTC 2013

A map showing the area-part of the time zone with differently colored
zone labels has been published, since the image URL may change, here
is only an indirect link:

http://anna.info/wiki/ANNA_time_zone_maps

Areas, as defined in the Theory file, having at least one labeled zone
in the map are:
America, Europe, Africa, Asia, Australia, Antarctic, Arctic, Atlantic, Indian

The unique three character codes have been chosen over the tzids to
get more zone labels on the map.

All codes that do not contain the character "0" or "1" represent the
location part of an UN/LOCODE in that zone, mostly the location.

The map is based on data in tz_world_mp.zip from
http://efele.net/maps/tz/world/ projected with qgis.

I had no time yet to color the zones and did not manage to get higher
resolution or SVG. I could make an SVG, but not with the labels.

The parallels are multiple of 30 degree from the poles, so the equator
is shown as well as the Antartic Treaty boundary.

Antarctica/Macquarie and Arctic/Longyearbyen are shown in gray and are
the only location labels shown for their area.

Looking at the map I found South Georgia, which located in ocean water
and has almost the same latitude as Macquarie

The coordinates in zone.tab are:
-5416-03632 Atlantic/South_Georgia
-5430+15857 Antarctica/Macquarie

--