[tz] Proposal regarding tz DB and leap second updates

Paul Eggert eggert at cs.ucla.edu
Mon Aug 12 19:20:17 UTC 2013

Martin Burnicki wrote:
> My proposal is to use some sort of network protocol to deploy the contents
> of the tz DB, either for a single time zone used on a system, or even for all
> time zones supported by the tz database.
>
> In my opinion this is similar to DNS or DHCP, or even NTP services.

Have you looked at Internet RFC 4833?  It specifies a DHCP
option for disseminating TZ settings.  It's not exactly what
you're asking for, but it should help you get started on how
to add that sort of thing to DHCP.

> My proposal is to change the TZ code and DB in a first step
> so that they also use the NIST leap second file format.

Sure, you could add an option ('-S file', say) to zic.c, with
documentation in zic.8.