[tz] Problematic/dubious commits in 2013

Stephen Colebourne scolebourne at joda.org
Thu Aug 29 11:38:19 UTC 2013

I have reviewed every commit since the end of 2012. Here are the ones
I consider to be problematic. I suggest that others have another
review of these, as it may be that not everyone has taken the time to
do this.

- One zone for each inhabited ISO-3166 region should not have been removed:
https://github.com/eggert/tz/commit/d3b025adb25554ee10b986850371e573df92733e#L0L267

- Ensuing changes were wrong:
https://github.com/eggert/tz/commit/df99923bde035a263493f3435db63db15df14d53

- Reversion did not revert everything, specifically the reverted links
are still in the backward file, not the main file, indicating that
they are deprecated which should not be the case (eg for
Europe/Zagreb):
https://github.com/eggert/tz/commit/ee40570d7d937de749fe89676dec2ff1526ee68b

- Pre-1970 damage:
https://github.com/eggert/tz/commit/5903db75e5974fbdede1fa05bcef53ff645ac13d
https://github.com/eggert/tz/commit/9432f1d23d3c5bbcc14c26f781185c01679edeef

- Montreal removal (looks like it changes pre-1970 history)
https://github.com/eggert/tz/commit/45dcf69b45087cff50282d4da64b86a7d705ddf3

- Navajo - America/ShipRock removal
https://github.com/eggert/tz/commit/d58b59dd8a1e4c10abdbab8857ae521f6c2d2536
https://github.com/eggert/tz/commit/81be53c16b97ce0bc561ce3891ce2503227e3369

- Other possibly dubious commits
tzselect changes
https://github.com/eggert/tz/commit/cc3f93886bcfe36dfedc8f340827fded6e43539c
https://github.com/eggert/tz/commit/ebdf0c5d0ce06b20dcd7e984b7370548f74dc210

Not all of these cause damage, but some clearly do. I'm unhappy with
most of them, as they break the principles I value.

Stephen