[tz] attic data for the tz database

Paul Eggert eggert at cs.ucla.edu
Thu Aug 29 17:59:23 UTC 2013

On 08/29/2013 10:16 AM, Zefram wrote:

> some applications would also benefit from being able to specify an upper
> end.

Good point, thanks

> We therefore need to store these population figures, for this use as
> preference values.

Yes, I'd thought about that.  Maintaining the population figures would
be a bit of a pain (and another source of arguments!), but we could
cut down on that by merely maintaining a list roughly sorted in order
of increasing population.  The list wouldn't need to be complete,
only enough to resolve ambiguities.

I had considered only winnowing at build/install time; winnowing at
tzselect time is also a good idea.  Thanks!