[tz] Proposal for new rules

Paul Eggert eggert at cs.ucla.edu
Thu Aug 29 20:56:21 UTC 2013

On 08/29/2013 01:06 PM, Paul Goyette wrote:
> The new proposal (appears to) restore the recent status-quo
I'm afraid that's not the case: the proposal would impose
new political rules that have never been followed in the tz
database, rules that would require politically-inspired makework.
For example, it would forbid the longstanding link from
Europe/Rome to Europe/Vatican.  There is no technical reason
to forbid that link; the only reason to forbid it would be
political.  (This is not the only example; I'm picking on
the Vatican because it's relatively uncontroversial.)

We should avoid adding politics to the guidelines.
It's extra complexity that we don't need. complexity
that will make matters worse in the future.