[tz] attic data for the tz database

Paul Eggert eggert at cs.ucla.edu
Sat Aug 31 00:20:09 UTC 2013

Stephen Colebourne wrote:
> I can see an attic file working if there is an additional loader
> rule. The loader rule would have to say that a zone in the attic file
> takes precedence over a link with the same ID.

That's pretty much what I implemented, with the loader rule
being the BACKWARD setting in the Makefile, but you and others
then objected.  Oh well.

Marc Lehmann wrote:
> Never before has the tzdb seen so many changes that are not
> actually corrections

Not true; it had far more changes the last time we reorganized it,
and another set of comparable changes after the Balkan wars upset
clocks in the region.

What's different now, is that there are more people involved,
and a lot more bureaucracy, and considerably more resistance
to change.  It's understandable.  Every long-running project
has this sort of problem eventually.

Given the reviews, it appears that we should undo the addition
of the attic file, and revert the recent changes that lost
pre-1970 data, so I'll do that shortly.  Perhaps we can
think of a better way to address the underlying problems.