[tz] Dealing with Pre-1970 Data

Lester Caine lester at lsces.co.uk
Sat Aug 31 14:48:21 UTC 2013

Paul Eggert wrote:
> As for the changes that discarded some pre-1970 data,
> the underlying problem is the unnecessary proliferation of
> entries due to political constraints.

While the politics is irritating, having a single repository for ALL available
data should be a goal? We are still discussing two databases here, one with pre
1970 data and one without. As more people are involved nowadays, filling in gaps
in the history may actually be possible even if time consuming, but if someone
does find a new piece of information how can that now be recorded? Is there
going to be a bar on adding data simply because it's pre-1970? Do we need a
second list where historic 'patches' can be logged and discussed, leaving this
list for the much more continuous turnover of ongoing changes in new data?

I probably need to point out that as far as I am concerned, the UK data is
correct back to the creation of daylight saving back in 1916 so I've always
ignored the 1970 'limit' anyway and I've not found any problems with other
countries which is why I was rather surprised at the suggestion there were. My
own next area of interest is 'railway time', and adding an LMT base creates an
interesting hook to compare that information. But a single entry for the whole
of the UK is of little use, and you certainly will not want to add 'UK town
offsets' :)

--
Lester Caine - G8HFL