[tz] TZ file comments UTF-8?

Shawn Steele Shawn.Steele at microsoft.com
Thu Feb 14 17:41:59 UTC 2013

> With that, I hope that you will quickly find UTF-8 perfectly acceptable now in source code.

> Markus

> i prefer plain ascii because i get trouble from time to time with mixed code
> documentation. (last week some wired 16bit thing). being conservative seems
> the most practical way.

> wh

I'd prefer UTF-8 if there's non-ASCII information to be had.

Opening in an ASCII editor ASCII would just lose that extra information for whomever was using an ASCII editor, whereas forcing ASCII on the file loses that information for everyone.  When I open UTF-8 in a non-UTF-8 editor, I can usually glean the content and just ignore the few mojibake-y characters.

(Either that or convert everything to XML so that there's a good escaping mechanism so the file's still parsable and readable, which would be far more breaking).

-Shawn