[tz] "non-standard" timezones

Shawn Steele Shawn.Steele at microsoft.com
Sat Jan 5 21:30:06 UTC 2013

> > For non-standard timezones is there a recommendation for naming conventions?

> There isn't, but if there's a need we should probably establish one.
> "Etc" is probably not a good prefix, since it's in use in the standard list.  "Extension", maybe?

I was wondering if there was a need :)  If nobody's doing it, then there's no need for a user namespace.

What made me wonder about this is that I see anecdotal references to how to edit timezone data on various platforms, but no actual examples of people actually using some sort of special time zone.  (Except maybe fixing something where they're system hadn't been updated to an updated standard).  So the references seem more like "gee, isn't it nifty that you can do this?" rather than "I used this to solve problem XXX."

-Shawn