[tz] TZ file comments UTF-8? Bastardized HTML?

Steffen Daode Nurpmeso sdaoden at gmail.com
Mon Jan 14 18:52:13 UTC 2013

Russ Allbery <rra at stanford.edu> wrote:
 |Steffen "Daode" Nurpmeso <sdaoden at gmail.com> writes:
 |
 |> Weeeeeelll ... this indeed works for newer perl(1)s!
 |> I first got stuck since the laptop hardware driving OS has 5.8.9
 |> and 5.10.0 installed, and those do not support L<TEXT|scheme:>:
 |
 |>   But note that there is no corresponding "L<text|scheme:...>"
 |>   syntax, for various reasons.
 |
 |> (But the VM-based loved one with 5.16.1 got it right.)
 |
 |Oh, I'm sorry, I hadn't realized both this and accept_codes() were that
 |recent.  Note that these are both properties of Pod::Simple, so even with
 |older Perls one could install a new version of Pod::Simple from CPAN and
 |things should work.

Yes, and we could version check to decide what to do.
I.e., i think it would be better to act as an input filter and
feed into Pod:: what can be handled, converting to "L<scheme:>
(Text)" or likewise as necessary, instead of introducing
a requirement onto a specific, possibly non-standard package
(version).
However, if it's not so hard to extend or hook L<>, or to make the
Pod parser -- but even more the Pod output layer -- recognize
"this is a hyperlink", then that would also be worth the effort
i think.

 |--
 |Russ Allbery (rra at stanford.edu)             <http://www.eyrie.org/~eagle/>

--steffen