[tz] re DST in Russia 2011

Alan Barrett apb at cequrux.com
Sun Jul 7 21:18:50 UTC 2013

On Sun, 07 Jul 2013, Robert Elz wrote:
>  | I think this is contrary to Mr Olsons assertion that abolishing now means
>  | standard.
>
> I think you misread what ado intended to say.  I believe his
> intent was that the new timezone for Russia (an offset from
> UTC which used to be its Summertime) can now be considered as
> standard time for Russia (or standard times, as there are still
> multiple zones right?) rather than being considered summer time.

I think that the question we need to answer is: should the Russian
time zones now have the "isdst" flag permanently set to 0 (for
standard time), or permanently set to 1 (for daylight savings
time)?  I don't know what should be the case, but currently the
Russian time zones have isdst=0.

According to the output from "zdump -v Europe/Moscow", the
last transition was from {isdst=0, gmtoff=10800} to {isdst=0,
tzoff=14400}, on 27 Mar 2011.  This transition corresponds to a
one-hour jump in standard time, without either entering or leaving
daylight savings time.

Obviously, the Russian time zones should also have the correct
offset from UTC, and I believe that they are correct in that
regard.

--apb (Alan Barrett)