[tz] Discussion in ECMA about tz identifiers in JavaScript

Norbert Lindenberg ietf at lindenbergsoftware.com
Tue Mar 5 18:28:00 UTC 2013

On Mar 5, 2013, at 0:37 , Paul Eggert wrote:

> On 03/04/2013 11:07 PM, Alan Barrett wrote:
>> Have any tz id's ever disappeared in the past?
>
> I don't recall any, no.  My memory is not perfect.
>
>> perhaps the tz project could guarantee that none will disappear in
>> the future.
>
> I'm not sure what is meant by "guarantee", but it is listed as the
> last of the general rules used for location names, in the Theory file.

I wasn't aware of the Theory file, but found it after some digging. Would it be possible to put the content of the "Names of time zone rule files" section into a more prominent place? The best solution for external references to the time zone database would actually be an RFC containing that information - section 3 of RFC 6557 would have been a good place. Has that been considered before?

I'm the editor of the ECMAScript Internationalization API Specification, and am adding time zone support for the second edition of that standard, hence my interest in this.

Thanks,
Norbert