[tz] dead code in zic

Jonathan Leffler jonathan.leffler at gmail.com
Wed Mar 6 15:06:16 UTC 2013

On Tue, Mar 5, 2013 at 11:13 PM, Alan Barrett <apb at cequrux.com> wrote:

> On Tue, 05 Mar 2013, Arthur David Olson wrote:
>
>> The code in question dates back to when "long" was the longest integer
>> type available with all compilers ("long long" was not universal then).
>>

> Today, intmax_t is the longest integer type.  Perhaps most of the longs in
> zic.t should be changed to intmax_t.

Does Microsoft's MSVC (which is a C89 compiler) have support for intmax_t
(and <stdint.h> or <inttypes.h>)?  Does the TZ code have to work with
Microsoft compilers?

Maintaining compatibility with MSVC in C (as opposed to C++) is a serious
impediment to good engineering on occasion.

--
Jonathan Leffler <jonathan.leffler at gmail.com>  #include <disclaimer.h>
Guardian of DBD::Informix - v2013.0118 - http://dbi.perl.org