[tz] Timezones Morocco 2013 incorrect

Brian Inglis Brian.Inglis at shaw.ca
Tue Mar 5 15:09:21 UTC 2013

On 2013-03-04 02:18, Paul Eggert wrote:
> On 03/04/2013 12:52 AM, Erik Homoet wrote:
>> An official link for the announcement for this year I cannot find on
>> official local websites but on all timezone and worldtime websites and
>> airlines booking engines are using it.
>
> Thanks.  Last year it looks like the official announcement
> by the Head of Government of the Kingdom of Morocco wasn't until
> July 11 (for July 20 and August 20 transitions), so if we wait for
> something official it'll be uncomfortably close
> to the actual event.  Here's last year's announcement (in French):
>
> http://www.mmsp.gov.ma/fr/actualites.aspx?id=288
>
> I'm thinking of using the GNU Emacs predictions for Ramadan for 2013-2037,
> whatever they are, and slapping them into the Morocco table by hand,
> as predictions.  Any better suggestions are welcome.

GNU Emacs predictions may be usable if they take the location dependent
visibility of the new moon crescent into account (see references to Yallop's
method) but if this becomes more widespread, it may be better to develop (or
borrow) a script that will predict the start and end of Ramadan for any tz
location.