[tz] Australian Timezone Abreviations (Daylight Savings Time) [SEC=UNOFFICIAL]

Timothy Arceri t.arceri at bom.gov.au
Thu Mar 28 05:17:37 UTC 2013

 > If your bureau want to use "correct" abbreviations, they should probably
> start by contacting the various state government departments that
> actually define the time zones, and ask them what they believe should be
> used - as best we have ever been able to tell, there are no defined
> zone name abbreviations anywhere, just full names, which essentially never
> have "Australian" in their names (which makes sense, none of the state
> governments could really define what is Australian time after all) and
> in most cases, use Summer Time as the name for the time when Standard Time
> does not apply (not Daylight Savings Time).
>
> kre
>

>From the New South Wales (NSW) government website:
"Where Daylight saving is observed

NSW, ACT,Vic and Tas move from AEST to Australian Eastern Daylight Time (AEDT),
and clocks are advanced to UTC +11.

SA and the NSW town of Broken Hill move from ACST to Australian Central Daylight
Time (ACDT), and clocks are advanced to UTC +10 ½.

Daylight saving is not observed in Queensland, the Northern Territory or Western
Australia."

http://communityrelations.lawlink.nsw.gov.au/cru/daylight/definitions_of_time.html

>From the Victorian (Vic) government website:
"Move your clock backward one hour at 3am (Daylight Saving Time)"

http://www.business.vic.gov.au/operating-a-business/how-to-start/trading-hours/daylight-saving

"Question:
What is the time difference between Victoria and Western Australia?:

Answer:
There are three timezones across Australia.

Information about the time observed in these zones can be found on the
Australian Government website. "

http://ask.vic.gov.au/FA/Hybrid/Themes/infovic/displayresult.asp?MesId=1113410

>From the Tasmania (Tas) government website:
While they don’t use abbreviations for the eastern states they do reference the
WA timezone using the format specified on the Australian government website.

"As a result, Western Australia will not observe daylight saving and will remain
on Australian Western Standard Time (AWST) all year."

http://www.dpac.tas.gov.au/divisions/policy/daylightsavings

>From the South Australian government website:
While I couldn't find any abbreviations on their website but 3/4 is a pretty
good argument to change the status quo.

http://www.safework.sa.gov.au/show_page.jsp?id=2675