[tz] Ambiguous abbreviations for Australian timezones when daylight savings is in affect

Timothy Arceri t.arceri at bom.gov.au
Sat Mar 30 10:34:19 UTC 2013

Paul Eggert <eggert <at> cs.ucla.edu> writes:

> A problem, as we've seen when looking into this before,
> is that different parts of the Australian national and state
> governments disagree, and there does not seem to be
> a consistent consensus.  If I understand the recent comments
> aright (and I admit I haven't had time to digest them) it
> appears that different parts of the Australian governments
> continue to use inconsistent names and/or abbreviations.

The links that I have presented in the other thread make it fairly clear that
all states *are* using a consistent format for abbreviations. The only thing
that is inconsistent is is the use of the full terms daylight savings/summer
time although daylight saving is much more commonly used outside of the actual
legislation.
For completeness here is two more state/territory government website links that
uses the Australian government defined format.

Northern Territory government page:
-----------------------------------

"The Time Zone in the Northern Territory is Australian Central Standard Time
(ACST, also commonly referred to as CST). ACST is shared by Broken Hill (NSW),
the Northern Territory and South Australia. ACST is 9 hours and 30 minutes ahead
of Coordinated Universal Time (UTC)."

http://alicesprings.nt.gov.au/alice-springs/timezone

Queensland page:

"The consultation period on the proposed reform, including the legislative
package and Consultation Regulatory Impact Statements, will remain open for
submissions until 5pm AEDT 12 October 2012 for all occupations."
http://mines.industry.qld.gov.au/safety-and-health/national-licensing-consultation.htm