[tz] tabs vs spaces

Guy Harris guy at alum.mit.edu
Wed May 1 19:39:58 UTC 2013

On May 1, 2013, at 5:08 AM, Tobias Conradi <mail.2012 at tobiasconradi.com> wrote:

> And I assume not any white space separates tokens.

If you mean "not all white space characters are valid separators", I suspect that none of Vertical Tab, Carriage Return, or Line Feed/New Line would be considered valid separators, and I don't know whether we support non-ASCII characters in the data portion (rather than the comment portion) of the files, so Non-Breaking Space, for example, might not be valid either.

However, I consider treating tabs and spaces differently to be an error (I think Stu Feldman considered it one of the biggest mistakes in Make); we should allow arbitrary numbers of tabs and/or spaces to be valid separators.