[tz] [bug] phrasing in Theory

John Haxby john.haxby at oracle.com
Fri May 3 08:36:47 UTC 2013

On 02/05/13 22:15, Alan Perry wrote:
> On 5/2/13 1:58 PM, random832 at fastmail.us wrote:
>> On Thu, May 2, 2013, at 15:46, Tobias Conradi wrote:
>>> "The daylight saving time rules to be used
>>> for a particular time zone are encoded in the time zone file"
>> Should read: ...encoded in the time zone rule file.
>
> Except that they are called 'time zone data files' in the tzcode README ...
>

>> Since evidently certain people are unable to understand anything other
>> than perfect pedantic precision in describing things.
>
> The documentation of the tz database sometimes uses inconsistent
> terminology and doesn't spell everything out like a formal standard or
> most industry specs would.  Does it need that now?

I don't believe so.

We've had one person who thought tabs were important whereas common
practice (and the code) treats sequences of tabs and spaces as white
space separators.   And one person that enjoys winding everyone else up.

I don't think we actually need to change anything at all with regard to
this: the tzdata and tzcode function perfectly well.   (I shall be
disappointed if the usual critic doesn't complain about that.)

jch