[tz] Proposal to use Asia/Tel_Aviv for Israel - Jerusalem is not internationally recognized as part of Israel

Tobias Conradi mail.2012 at tobiasconradi.com
Sat May 4 16:28:36 UTC 2013

Follow up to
"Proposal to use Asia/Tel_Aviv for Israel - Jerusalem is not
internationally recognized as part of Israel"
http://mm.icann.org/pipermail/tz/2013-April/019134.html
-----------
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-middle-east-22395494

<citation>
Google spokesman Nathan Tyler said: "We're changing the name
'Palestinian Territories' to 'Palestine' across our products. We
consult a number of sources and authorities when naming countries.

"In this case, we are following the lead of the UN, Icann [the
Internet Corporation for Assigned Names and Numbers], ISO
[International Organisation for Standardisation] and other
international organisations."
</citation>

That is not a territorial issue, but it also shows that usage of
terminology related to Israel/Palestina by UN, ICANN, ISO and "other
international organisation" may play a role for other entities.

What is the reason that the IANA time zone database keeps Jerusalem as
Israel territory as introduced by Arthur David Olson around 1996?
(https://github.com/eggert/tz/commit/65a7988fe8b4007023ef2130064421eacd263e4c)

--
Tobias Conradi
Rheinsberger Str. 18