[tz] Proposal to use Asia/Tel_Aviv for Israel - Jerusalem is not internationally recognized as part of Israel

Mon May 6 19:22:07 UTC 2013

On May 6, 2013, at 3:01 PM, <yoshito_umaoka at us.ibm.com>
 <yoshito_umaoka at us.ibm.com> wrote:

> ..."Asia/Jerusalem" is just a zone identifier. This might be similar to "Asia/Shanghai" vs. "Asia/Beijing" discussion. If the way of display a zone is problematic, then it should be resolved by the code formatting the zone name.

Exactly.  The presentation of time zone choices is a user interface design choice, entirely outside the scope of the TZ project.

> But the tz database maintainer may still consider this because the tz database can stay away from the political conflict.

NO!  The TZ process is NOT a political process.  I strongly object to any of these attempts to make it so.

There are a whole lot of political issues in the world.  This one is merely one of them, perhaps better known than some others for reasons I will not discuss here (because I'm writing in a technical forum, not a political one).  But if we get suckered into making changes for this one, we may next get into a debate about the Falkland Islands, Taiwan, or any number of other places that some politicians disagree about.

Again, I do not want any part of that sort of nonsense.  It has no place in a technical group such as the TZ project.

	paul