[tz] Proposal to use Asia/Tel_Aviv for Israel - Jerusalem is not internationally recognized as part of Israel

Bryan J Smith b.j.smith at ieee.org
Wed May 8 14:16:37 UTC 2013

On Tue, May 7, 2013 at 8:42 PM, Paul Koning <paulkoning at comcast.net> wrote:

> Ok then, should Asia/Taipei be listed with country code CN?  Or not at
> all?

It seems to me the exact same reasoning that is being used here applies to
> both cases.

Just to "piggy-back" on Paul's "case" here, let's look at this as a
process-oriented detail ...

Whenever one makes a suggestion for a change, _please_ also:
 A) State how it effects _more_ than just one (1) case -- aim for at least
three (3) -- keep sigma in mind here
 B) Put down explicit sets of logic, that are completely objective and
technical, and run all three-plus (3+) cases through it
 C) Evaluate if and how this will effect not only existing Zoneinfo history
and approach, but what impacts it may have to code/files

I think people here are _failing_ to recognize that this isn't about one
(1) case, and it has multiple impacts to many other cases.  So ... if there
is a strong case to make a change in not just logic, but how Zoneinfo does
things and goes forward in doing things -- including possible changes to
Zoneinfo code and/or formats (hopefully not, but at least assumptions) --
then make it, and make it objectively doing A-B-C together.

Just my $0.02, not speaking on-behalf of anyone else.

--
Bryan J Smith - Professional, Technical Annoyance
b.j.smith at ieee.org - http://www.linkedin.com/in/bjsmith