[tz] Proposal to use Asia/Tel_Aviv for Israel - Jerusalem is not internationally recognized as part of Israel

random832 at fastmail.us random832 at fastmail.us
Thu May 9 21:26:37 UTC 2013

On Thu, May 9, 2013, at 16:57, Marc Lehmann wrote:

> > > That is your _goal_, yes, but where does it say so?
> >
> > in the Theory file.     "Include at least one location per time zone
> > rule set per country."
>
> In context, that seems to mean what I said, yes...

"countries" are political units.

I shouldn't have to say this.

> The point is that that absolute definition is your goal, and not written
> down in the Theory file, ignoring out-of-context quoting (general rules
> vs. absolute definitions, and this not being applicable to the case in
> question).

How is this not applicable to the case in question? The timezone we are
discussing is that of a region consisting of an entire country, not just
one city, and was formerly named after a different city. It was changed
based on the argument that it should be the largest city in the region.
The region this is problematic is because people dispute whether this
city is in fact in the region it represents.

> > You've been avoiding the word "country" for some reason, and I've gone
> > along with it, but it's certainly in the documentation.
>
> What the heck, I am not avoiding anything. I *replied* to a mail that
> used
> that term:

But in _your_ message you kept saying "regions" as though they are
arbitrary (or, rather, based solely on where clocks are set to the same
time) rather than being divisions of countries. You've even _explicitly_
claimed they're not based on political boundaries (i.e. they are not
divisions of countries). I really did get the impression you were
carefully avoiding acknowledging that, according to the Theory file,
each timezone belongs to exactly one country and therefore should be
named after a city _in that country_. If I was mistaken, I'm sorry.

I still don't understand _how_ you can think political boundaries aren't
relevant when we are talking about regions that _each country_ is
divided into one or more of.

--
Random832