[tz] Dropping iso3166.tab

Paul Eggert eggert at cs.ucla.edu
Mon May 20 22:27:50 UTC 2013

On 05/20/13 13:59, Garrett Wollman wrote:
> FreeBSD does this (and always has); you can look at it if you want.

I have been thinking of proposing to drop iso3166.tab from the
tz distribution, and to drop all uses of country codes.
This would help simplify maintenance, as it would mean
that the database would be unaffected by political
issues such as whether Kosovo is a country, what country
Jerusalem is in, what country Taipei is in, etc.  The idea
is to simplify the database to help us focus on our charter
(namely, civil time) and to be less distracted by political
issues that do not affect the clocks.

As part of this change, the first column of zone.tab
would change from its current role (a country code)
to be just a comment.

I was thinking of changing the comment to be just "--",
for every entry in zone.tab.   How would this change
affect FreeBSD's use of zone.tab?