[tz] Dropping iso3166.tab

random832 at fastmail.us random832 at fastmail.us
Tue May 21 12:44:37 UTC 2013

On Tue, May 21, 2013, at 0:14, Paul Eggert wrote:
> On 05/20/2013 06:42 PM, Random832 wrote:
> > So how is tzselect going to work?
>
> tzselect will still work.  It will skip the part where
> it asks "Please select a country".  So its menu will
> get shallower and bushier.
>
> The code to skip "Please select a country" is already
> in tzselect, and has been for many years.

The current code only skips the question if it _only has one possible
answer_ - a code path that I don't think even ever gets exercised now.

> If
> zone.tab's column 1 is changed to be a comment, we
> can simplify tzselect to automatically skip the question
> rather than to calculate whether the question can be
> skipped.

The descriptions in column 4 are not adequate, without a country, to
select a time zone. You would basically have to add the country to it. I
don't see why you're going for this nuclear option when the issue could
have been resolved simply by replacing Asia/Jerusalem with Asia/Tel_Aviv
in zone.tab with _no_ data changes (and for heaven's sake, nobody was
arguing about Taiwan... except the anti-change people using it to draw a
false equivalency).