[tz] Dropping iso3166.tab

David Patte ₯ dpatte at relativedata.com
Tue May 21 13:10:54 UTC 2013

Yes, I understand that may be what you think is acceptable, but it not
what those that are mandated to debate such political and diplomatic
items have already decided.

I have no debate about what tz people use in Jerusalem. Its the same as
what people use is Tel Aviv.
The concern is whether Jerusalem is recognized as an Israeli city, and
it should not be up to tz to make that decision.

Without delegating responsibility for what country is a country, and
which city is in a country, we leave the responsibility of making these
political decisions squarely within the tz list maintainer's hands, and
the responsibility of running counter to accepted political decisions
within their hands. This clearly opens this list open to endless
political debate - which should not be the case.

But by agreeing to only follow the decisions of those whose job it is to
make such political decisions, the political nature of the database is
delegated, and cannot be driven by the whims of the maintainers or
others on this list.

My goal is to reduce the political debate on this list, and leave it to
the diplomats and the standards committees that are under their control,
to determine what is a country, and what city is in a country - then
reflect those decisions in the database.