[tz] Dropping iso3166.tab

random832 at fastmail.us random832 at fastmail.us
Tue May 21 17:06:13 UTC 2013

On Tue, May 21, 2013, at 12:18, Paul_Koning at Dell.com wrote:

> On May 21, 2013, at 12:34 AM, Paul Eggert wrote:
> > (3) Merge all Zones that are currently split only because of
> >    national boundaries.  For example, merge Africa/Bangui,
> >    Africa/Brazzaville, etc., into Africa/Lagos, since these zones
> >    have all had the same clocks since 1970.  We would of course
> >    retain backward-compatibility links for the merged zones, so
> >    they'd continue to work.

I should think to emphasize the magnitude of this change you should have
used Europe/Copenhagen, Europe/Oslo, and Europe/Stockholm as your
examples. Not sure which one you would propose using as the new
timezone, though.

Is there a way to programmatically generate a list of all timezones that
have been the same since 1970?

> I'd rather not do #3.  The fact that they haven't had the same clocks for
> the entire time covered by the tzdata project isn't something that should
> be relegated to second class status.

Huh? They _have_. Before 1970 is officially not "covered by the tzdata
project".