[tz] On merging timezones - a radical proposal.

random832 at fastmail.us random832 at fastmail.us
Wed May 22 18:27:24 UTC 2013

Or, more precisely, on the subject evicting redundant timezones from the
user selection menu, since of course all current names will continue to
exist as links if nothing else.

I've thought about this some more, and I don't think it goes far enough.
A user installing a new system doesn't _care_ about (my own proper time
zone) America/Indianapolis, they don't have any need to accurately
convert times from before _2006_ let alone 1970. Most users could
probably be served just as well with America/New_York.

I think it would be useful - particularly if we're abandoning being able
to narrow it down by country - to define a heavily cut down set of
"basic" time zones, that define each set of rules that exists _now_
without care for maintaining the past back to 1970, and then offer an
"advanced" option for the rest.

--
Random832