[tz] Dropping iso3166.tab

Guy Harris guy at alum.mit.edu
Wed May 22 19:34:13 UTC 2013

On May 22, 2013, at 10:58 AM, Scott Atwood <scott.roy.atwood at gmail.com> wrote:

> Some devices have geolocation, which could allow users to select from a geographically sorted list of time zones.

s/could/do/

It worked on my previous laptop (MacBook Pro running Snow Leopard) and would, as far as I know, work on my current one (which has not yet left the Pacific time zone).  (The geolocation is, I think, Wi-Fi-based, as the machine has neither a GPS receiver nor any mobile phone network connection.)

> A graphical selection interface can allow users to select from a map based on the timezone city coordinates in zone.tab.

s/can/does/

Again, OS X has a world map that (if you've turned "Set time zone automatically using current location" off) shows a region boundary under the cursor; if you click on the region to select it, it offers a list of time zone names and cities in the region (a "region" appears to go from pole to pole with western and eastern boundaries).  Deborah Goldsmith might know the details better than I do.

> And packagers are of course always welcome to provide more sophisticated selection mechanisms on top of the minimimal facilities offered by tz.  The user experience of enabling effective time zone selection by end users is already well outside the scope of the tz project.

Yup.