[tz] On merging timezones - a radical proposal.

random832 at fastmail.us random832 at fastmail.us
Wed May 22 20:17:56 UTC 2013

On Wed, May 22, 2013, at 16:00, Jonathan M Davis wrote:
> In any case, to answer the general topic, I would argue that the
> "advanced"
> stuff is the set of time zones that people don't normally use. There are
> over
> 1000 time zones in tzdata. Most people don't use more than one and don't
> care
> that most of them exist. They just pick America/New_York or Europe/Paris
> or
> whatever and it works just fine. I don't see any benefit in merging any
> of that.

By "merging" I don't mean _actually_ merging anything in the database, I
mean _expecting_ people to pick New_York (or, for example, a single CET
zone, whichever one it may be, whether they're in France or Germany or
Norway...), and putting the extra dozens of timezones that are the same
today behind an 'advanced' screen.

I simply titled this thread that because merging was what Paul Eggert's
less ambitious proposal was stated in terms of.