[tz] On merging timezones - a radical proposal.

Guy Harris guy at alum.mit.edu
Thu May 23 00:43:42 UTC 2013

On May 22, 2013, at 5:35 PM, John Hawkinson <jhawk at mit.edu> wrote:

> ( But of course, I also think that in the US, users should use
> US/Eastern instead of America/New_York, and that should be presented
> by tzselect and friends. )

I, on the other hand, think users should, in the best of circumstances, not be presented with anything at all, and have the system automatically pick the right zone and, in circumstances where that's not possible, the user should be presented with a map that lets them pick a location, and users should never have to see a TZ identifier.